Lemon Sheet Cake with Coconut Buttercream
This cake can’t be beat when you need to feed a group while celebrating a special occasion. It combines the classic flavors of lemon and coconut in a tender cake topped with a light and fluffy frosting. This is a dessert that is bursting with the tastes of summer.
TIME TO TABLE:
30 minutes prep, 35 minutes baking.
1 ½ cups white granulated sugar
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
3 large eggs
1 ¼ cups 2% milk
Zest of 4 Paramount Citrus lemons
2 tablespoons Paramount Citrus lemon juice
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 ¼ cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
3 cups powdered confectioner’s sugar
2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon light coconut milk
Zest of 1 Paramount Citrus lemon
Pinch of salt
1/3 cup toasted coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
2. Add the sugar and butter to the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Turn the mixer to medium and then to medium-high and beat the butter and sugar for about 1 minute, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
3. Turn the mixer to medium-low and mix in the eggs. Add the milk and mix until all ingredients are combined.
4. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla. Continue to mix on medium-low and add the baking soda and salt. Add the flour in a little at a time and mix just until all ingredients are combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
5. Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan, spreading it evenly. Bake the cake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely.
6. To make the frosting, place the butter in the clean bowl of the mixer and turn the mixer on low. Slowly add the powdered sugar. Increase the speed to medium and add the coconut milk. Add the lemon zest and salt and turn the mixer to high. Beat for about 30 seconds, until the frosting is smooth.
7. Frost the top of the cake evenly. Sprinkle with the toasted coconut. Cut into 12 slices and serve.